When undertaking The Knowledge thousands of ‘points’ had to be found, a very small number of which would be asked at an appearance.
One I do remember discovering as it was distinctive and had sunflowers around its base was the statue of St. Volodymyr.
Today we check out Ukrainian points in London:
Statue of St. Volodymyr
Located on the eastern corner of Holland Park and Holland Park Avenue, the statue was erected to mark the millennium, in 1988, of the Christianisation of Ukraine-Rus, the first East Slavic state, which reached its peak in the early to the mid-11th century. The statue is the work of the Canadian Ukrainian sculptor Leo Mol. The statue is often the focus of wreath layings, commemorations and demonstrations. Visitors to London and members of the Ukrainian community are frequently seen being photographed by the statue.
The Holodomor memorial
Located on the grounds of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church in Acton. This Cross was erected by the Ukrainian community in 1983, on the 50th anniversary of the 1932-33 artificially-created famine in Ukraine. Every year, on Ukrainian National Holodomor Day (the fourth Saturday in November) the Ukrainian community, religious leaders, diplomats and visitors gather at the monument to pay their respects to the victims of the famine, in which many millions starved to death.
218 Sussex Gardens
Here is to be found a plaque commemorating the Ukrainian Canadians who were based in this country during the Second World War as part of the Allied forces.
The bronze plaque reads:
“In memory of the Ukrainian Canadians who served their country overseas during the Second World War.
This building housed the headquarters of the Ukrainian Canadian Servicemen’s Association from January 1943 to the war’s end, of the Central Ukrainian Relief Bureau from September 1945 to the winter of 1948, and of the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain from January 1946 to the spring of 1947.
Ukrainian-Canadian relief operations continued in Europe until 1952.
Placed by the Ukrainian communities of Canada and Great Britain 19 September 1995″.
The inscription is repeated in Cyrillic script.