Are you considering moving to London? The UK’s historic capital has a total population of over 8.5 million and growing.
It’s the country’s fastest growing region and expected to top the 10 million mark within 10 years.
There’s plenty of opportunity for everyone but the greater London area takes up over 600 square miles, so where’s best?
[N]orth London is made up of six borough: Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey and Islington, and each borough provides a unique and different environment.
- London is famed for its green spaces including Regent’s Park and Alexandra Park, Hampstead Heath and Primrose Hill in the northern part of the city.
- Transport links in the northern part of the capital are excellent, with many Underground and railway lines serving the area. The new CrossRail link is set to improve North London’s infrastructure even further.
- Highgate Cemetery is Grade I listed and boasts illustrious residents including Karl Marx, George Eliot, Christina Rossetti, Douglas Adams and Malcolm McLaren
- North London attractions range from the historic London Zoo at Regents Park to quirky shopping and music around Camden Lock, to Harry Potter World near Watford.
- North London is home to three football stadiums – Wembley Stadium, The Emirates stadium (home to Arsenal football club) and Tottenham Hotspurs stadium at White Hart Lane.
North Londoners tend to be fiercely proud of their neighbourhood, and it’s easy to see why. No wonder so many of its areas have been immortalised in song.
To get you into the North London spirit while you’re deciding where your next home should be, we’ve compiled our 20 favourite songs with a North London theme. Enjoy!
1. Gerry Rafferty – Baker Street
2. Belle & Sebastian – Mornington Crescent
3. Loudon Wainwright II – Primrose Hill
4. Tori Amos – Abbey Road
5. The Stranglers – Another Camden Afternoon
6. Al Stewart – Belsize Blues
7. Razorlight – Don’t Go Back To Dalston
8. Imelda May – Kentish Town Waltz
9. Pet Shop Boys – King’s Cross
10. The Kinks – Muswell Hillbillies
11. Babyshambles – Pentonville
12. Fatboy Slim – North West Three
13. Madness – NW5 (The Liberty of Norton Folgate)
14. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros – Willesden to Cricklewood
15. Coldplay – Violet Hill
16. New Vaudeville Band – Finchley Central
17. Candy Dulfer – Finsbury Park, Café 67
18. Microdisney – Singers Hampstead Home
19. Rod Stewart & Ron Wood – Highgate Shuffle
20. St Etienne – Archway People
And one more for good luck:
21. Highbury by Ivor Game – Highbury
Article provided by Mike James, an independent content writer in the property industry, working in London. For the information in this post, local Chartered Surveyor Peter Barry was consulted.
Featured image: A man from Togo (or at least with Togo written on his clothes) is playing the saxaphone on Westminster Bridge. © Lewis Clarke CC BY-SA 2.0)
This is a sponsored guest post for which CabbieBlog has received a fee. Proceeds from these articles help keep the wheels turning on this site offering free content for anybody with an interest in London. All links here conform with guidelines set out in Write a Post.