Following the destruction caused by World War II (including many Green Shelters), the Town and Country Planning Act of 1947 put a listings system in place to identify buildings considered special enough to be protected during post-war rebuilding. The list today includes buildings and landscapes of historical or architectural interest with around 400,000 entries spanning everything from windmills and palaces to piers and plague crosses.
[W]hile 514 of the entries are pigsties and 13 dung pits, these and many others of listings where preservation is deemed necessary in order for current and future generations to enjoy. It has included some bizarre inclusions in London including a concrete diving board at the former Purley Way lido in Croydon, a skatepark in Hornchurch and that zebra crossing on Abbey Road, itself having been moved since the famous album cover.
On the 70th anniversary of this listing initiative, from the advice of Historic England, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) has added to the National Heritage List for England a Cabbies’ Green Shelter.
Built in 1906, this one can be found in Grosvenor Gardens and is one of the last of only 13 still standing in London.
Still used by Black Cab drivers today as a place to rest and grab refreshments between jobs, but was originally built to combat cabbies taking shelter in pubs to escape the elements during shifts and drinking while waiting for customers.
Picture: Bill of fare © Urban 75